LegendaryLAN Winter 2011

• Legendary LAN 2023 is a wrap! Thanks to our 49 attendees! Until next year...
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

***  From the email announcement just sent****

We've got an announcement for you on the first LAN in 2011.  Because a couple of us have kids on the way in the spring  (myself included), we decided to do a special WINTER LAN this year instead of our usual spring LAN party.  This means that we're only 2 months away and its time to start planning and getting the word out!

At this point, we're looking at January 21-22, 2011 (FRI-SAT).  Mark your calendars and let me know if that date doesn't work for you!  If enough of you are a 'no-go' after a couple weeks, we'll look at rescheduling, otherwise, the date will hold.  We've got some big things planned to make this our best LAN yet, such as:

-a new venue for the LAN, with additional space for up to 30 attendees
    -prizes for each tournament winner, in addition to the regular ones for overall weekend champs
    -possible sponsors (which means free stuff)
    -a new boiloff tournament
    -a new 'mystery tournament' – to be announced on the day-of
    -the same laid-back atmosphere, friendly competition, traditions and memories that makes these things a great time

I encourage you to check out the legendarylan.com website (for info, LAN news, videos, pics from previous LANs, and a forum for keeping in contact with others who attend the LAN).  Also, be sure to join the facebook group.  If you haven't already, make sure you check out the awesome promo video of the fall LAN that Saraco uploaded to facebook (including time-lapse video courtesy of Chris).

Winter LANs are great because its not like we're going to be outside doing much anyway!  Another upside to doing a winter-LAN – there's no chance of it being 95 degrees on the day of!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your responses.  We are a go – the official date for the next LAN is JAN 21-22 2011.

Much more info will be on the way soon as we get to a month out.  Expect sign-ups to open up and all the info around Christmas-time. 

This may be our last LAN for a long while so get in on the action while you can!  Gonna be good times!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Registrations are now open!  Sign up on the main page and go here for the all the info…

browntown

Time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.. n I'm all out of gum.  8)

Anonymous
    Inactive

****From the wrap-up email****

Thanks to everyone who attended LegendaryLAN Winter 2011.  At 30 total attendees (a record for our group), I certainly had a blast myself and from the feedback I've gotten it seems to have been a big success!  As always, if there was anything that hindered your experience or suggestions you have for us for future events, or even something you really enjoyed, we'd value your feedback – please post on the forums here.  We really appreciated your patience as we worked through some power issues early on, since this was the first time at the new venue.

A big congratulations to our rookie champion – Mike Miller (“druziil”).  Mike took 1st place in our new tournament this year – Goldeneye Source.  That, coupled with 2 other 2nd place finishes (CS and Starcraft 2) and with 2 achievements, sent him well into the lead for the weekend competition with 25 points.  Other notable finishes included Tyler Sayer (“para”), also a LAN rookie, taking 2nd place with an amazing Starcraft 2 tournament finals win against druziil and Kactus in the final moments of the LAN.  Franco Logozzo and Nate Brown tied for 3rd with top finishes in both CS and Unreal Tournament respectively.  Final tournament standings for everybody can be found on the intranet marathon page (does not include achievements or caffeine).  With two rookie champs this year, it just goes to show that its anybody's competition!  Hall of Fame scores have also been updated, in case you'd like to see where you rank all-time.  We hope you enjoyed the friendly competition.

There were plenty of great highlights from the weekend, some of which included:
    -a close and exciting finish to the weekend with a back-and-forth Starcraft 2 2v2 tournament final match on the big screen between DDay, Druzil, Para, and Kactus
    -lots of laughs over lunch on Saturday at the diner with the waitress questioning Brian Reilly about his headcrab hat (which he wore with great style and pride, by the way, carrying on our tradition for the 1st person eliminated in CS – thanks for being such a great sport Brian)
    -Zach Border and Tom Palmer's CS knife-fight heroics to stay alive in the CS tourney
    -a fresh and exciting new Goldeneye Source tournament (remember that from your N64 days?)

Unless something unexpected happens, expect to hear word on our next event sometime over the summer, as we're thinking it will possibly be late this year (since a couple of us have kids on the way soon).  Also, we're always looking for new folks to join our admin team, so if you have an interest in helping plan these events, feel free to let me know.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to everyone involved for hosting a great event!  I apologize that I had to leave early, as I really wasn't feeling very well and I didn't want to let that affect anyone around me at all.  For the time that I was there though, I definately enjoyed myself and it was great to meet you guys in real life.  You all seem like really cool guys and I felt that the tournaments and the event overall was organized well, and that the power issues that came up were addressed quickly.  Although this is very understandable since this was the first time hosting it at aC's house.

The only thing is that it felt pretty cramped space-wise in my opinoin.  I think a part of that was because I picked a not so great seat and should have realized where it was haha.  If you guys plan to expand and add more attendees, it might be a good idea to consider renting a larger venue for a weekend.  That's the direction that my group is also headed as we are thinking about expanding to 50 people eventually.  We have been spoiled and have had a nice open office to host our event for the past few years, but we feel now its time to consider new options.  Hopefully our groups stay in touch as I am still very interested in exploring the possibilities of joining forces to host an epic uber LAN 🙂

Lastly, as some already know.  There is a 200 man LAN being hosted by FITES.net that is going to be held on Feb 25th – Feb. 27th.  So far, two from my group are pre-paid and signed up for the event and we would love to have a group attend if possible so that we can sit together and its also a bit cheaper when you sign up as a group.  Their events are always a great time, and definately worth the effort to go.  I know that Tycho said that he and some others might not know until the week before or later, but please consider going with us if you think it might be possible 🙂

Take care guys.  I'll definately be keeping in touch!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the great feedback gri3v!  It was great having you join us.

Agreed on the space.  I dont think we would go over 30 at aC's house.  To me, having been cramped out of my mind at my little place for the past few years of LANs, I bet it felt like more space than normal to our folks, lol.  But to the newcomer, I certainly understand.  I felt bad that you were sitting in such a transition area and were getting bumped all the time by people going by.  Thanks for being flexible and patient.

Part of me wants to look at renting a bigger venue, but another part of me likes how low-cost we currently are ($10 is a pretty good steal for a weekend of gaming, food, and prizes IMO).  This encourages participation by those that don't normally LAN and that pricetag would inevitably go up if we rent.  The other intangible is the “old-school feel” / “togetherness” factor that you get from hosting in someone's house.  Hard to quantify that aspect, but its there.

Anyway, we're considering all these things as we think about our next event – it will be great to hear from your experience if/when you guys do decide to try to rent a venue.  Your feedback is valuable in helping us perfect our craft!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘LegendaryLAN’ is closed to new topics and replies.