Graphics Card

• Legendary LAN 2023 is a wrap! Thanks to our 49 attendees! Until next year...
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys,
    I have an Intel i3 quad processor and my game performance (especially CS:GO) is choppy.  I'm hoping to save some moola and not have to buy a new PC.  Is a new graphics card the answer?  Can anyone recommend a good one?
    Thanks guys.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Claude,

You have a laptop right?  Getting a video card for a laptop is going to be tougher because its hard to say without seeing what bays you have available in your specific model.  You'd probably want to do some searching on what others have put into your model.

Another thing you can try is updating your video card drivers, etc.

Otherwise, for gaming a desktop is usually the better option because you can upgrade / modify to your heart's content.

Feel free to post your model / specs and maybe someone can help you further.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mike,
    Yep I have a laptop and I tried updating my drivers (they're already up to date).  I have a Dell Vostro with quad Intel Core i3s M370@2.4Ghz, 64-bit Windows Ocho.  I might stop by Best Buy this weekend to see what they have available or if Geek Squad can work their magic.  I'm reluctant to spend $2Gs on a gaming PC unless I've explored these other avenues.
    Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok here's the latest update…I just got back from Best Buy and the sales guy in the computer section told me this:  If I want to upgrade the video card for my laptop, I'll also have to upgrade the memory, RAM, and/or power supply, so it's probably not worth it.  He recommended another gaming laptop (ASUS) and not Alienware, since Dell is an empire on the decline.  Also, gaming laptops have the same problem as regular laptops when it comes to upgrading the video card (having to upgrade other parts as well), and that desktops are the way to go if I want a PC that's easy to upgrade in the future.  Short story long, I think I'm going to tough it out on my old slow laptop for this April's LAN party, survey what people have, get some advice, and then later this summer/fall, splurge on a gaming PC.  After spending $11g-s finishing my basement, I don't have the appetite to spend much now.  L8r guys.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey leclaude,

I have a pretty decent gaming laptop I can bring with me to the event if you would like to use it.  It has 8 GB of RAM, 1 GB vid card, an 128 GB SSD and an i5 proc.  I recently formatted it and can load most if not all of the LAN games on it in advance.  There are also various tweaks to the config that I personally utilize for CS:GO to improve performance, so I can include that as well.  If you feel more comfortable using your own computer, I completely understand, but wanted to throw it out there 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Gri3v,
    If you don't mind I might take you up on that ;D  That would be super not having CS:GO get choppy when I get in a gunbattle.  My risk of being the Crabwearer would be much lower.
    I'll bring my on laptop for the rest of the tourney for the less demanding games.
    Thanks
    Claude

Anonymous
    Inactive

I might not need the loaner PC.  I just ordered a new one  ;D and it should have enough juice for the next few LAN parties.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'll bring it along anyways just in case as a backup 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Hardware’ is closed to new topics and replies.